Misunderstood Awesomeness- Tarot Cards

Tarot, tarot everyday, tarot, tarot, hey hey hey!

Pardon me if that first line seemed nonsensical to you, I was singing a little tune in my head and thought it had a nice ring to it.

As may have guessed, today I want to talk about tarot. Unfortunately many people give tarot cards a bad rep. Hollywood demonizes them, religions frown upon them and many people don't know the first darn thing about em'. Well folks, I'm here to tell you everything you think you know about tarot is probably wrong. No, tarot cards will not depict your future, no they aren't evil and no they don't possess some sort of supernatural power.


The truth is, tarot cards are but only a humble deck of cards made of paper and ink. People who credit them with nasty hauntings or unfortunate events are simply giving these inanimate objects wayyy too much power.

So, if they can't magically tell me my future, what's the point? I'm glad you asked. Tarot is not only a great form of entertainment, it's also a powerful tool for digging deep into your subconscious mind. Each card tells it's own story through different symbols, characters and scenarios. Tarot is so useful for problem solving because it allows the reader to look at a situation from multiple viewpoints.

Tarot is a wonderful way to connect with your higher-self and get to the bottom of things that might be holding you back. For example, I might ask, what can I work on this week to be the best possible version of myself? I would then draw my cards and reflect on their meaning. The cards might represent various things from emotions, letting go of the past and confidence. This is where the subconscious magic comes in, after looking up the meaning of each card your brain will begin to draw parallels to real-life situations, thus helping you understand things on a different level.


Now, there are appropriate and inappropriate things to ask while working with your cards. Questions such as, when will I die, does he really love me and when will I get a job? are rubbish! Remember tarot cannot tell you your future! Better questions to ask would be, what can I do to take better care of myself, how can I improve my self confidence and what can I do to better prepare for the working world? The key is using the cards to connect with yourself.

Even the spookiest cards in appearance have a positive meaning. That's right, I'm looking at you Death, the Devil and the Tower. In fact, the "Death" card doesn't represent death at all. It actually portrays a time a change and transformation in someone's life. Another dreaded, but not so bad card is the Devil. This card actually represents breaking free and reclaiming your own power. Moral of the story, don't judge a book by its cover.

Based on my experience, I think tarot is the most useful when you learn to read and work with the cards on your own. Yes, you can get a reading from someone else, however, you're then bound to their interpretations of the cards which may change your overall experience. It's also worth noting, a tarot reader should never tell you anything that freaks you out. Such as, your going to get sick, you should break up with them, ect. As you know by now, they can't see your future and the cards are nothing more than advice you can take or leave.


Tarot Resources: 
Biddy Tarot
Biddy Tarot is a nifty little site with in-depth definitions for each card.

Material Girl, Mystical World-
A book by Ruby Warrington. Not all about tarot, but a really, really awesome read with a chapter all about these wonderful cards.

Your Local Bookstore-
There are countless books diving into the world of tarot, pick one up today! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One More, Then We'll Go- a Night at MKE's Lakefront Brewery

The American Horror Story Guide to New Orleans

What to do in Crescent City