Spooky Tales

Greetings!

For as long as I can remember I have been fascinated by the unknown. I was that creepy kid in elementary who checked-out the books on the Salem Witch Trials as I tried to record EVPs on my crappy tape recorder. Honestly, now that I've grown up I can't say much has changed. I still lust over the mystery of urban legends, tales of hauntings and wandering spirits. Luckily, I'm not one to say no to adventure.

Wisconsin is home to many strange things. I've been fortunate enough to find a few crazy companions who enjoy embarking on "Haunted Adventures" together. These are a few of my favorites. 

One of the most infamous spooky places in my hometown of Appleton, Wisconsin is Kate Blood's grave. Granted, with a last name like Blood poor Kate was destined to be met with superstition after passing to the other side. Today, Kate's grave is rumored to be a paranormal hot-spot. The most popular version of the Blood tragedy claims that one day Kate went crazy killing her entire family and then taking her own life. Ah yes, murder, tragedy and bloodshed the perfect cocktail of events for a haunting! Locals say that if you visit Kate's grave on a full moon her tombstone will begin to bleed. I haven't had the pleasure of encountering Kate or her family members during my visits to Riverside Cemetery. However, I do believe that if the Blood gravesite wasn't haunted to begin with it very well could be today. Perhaps Kate's spirit is a bit peeved with visitors for disrupting her slumber over the years.



http://www.atlasobscura.com/places/kate-blood-gravestone


Another one of my favorite alleged haunted locations in the dairy state is Hotel Hell. Some say the place is cursed. Seeing as the structure was pummeled by a tornado a little over a year ago maybe they're right. This place has some interesting history. Rumor has it Al Capone used to use Hotel Hell as a hideout when it was a running hotel. Little known fact there were once underground tunnels beneath the building. Al and his gangsters would use the series of underground tunnels and caves to conduct their business. Other strange history of the building includes; burning down three separate times all on the same date; a guest going on a mass killing frenzy followed by taking his own life; and most fascinating of all, hosting an alleged portal to Hell. Apparitions are often seen accompanied by ghostly sounds and putrid smells.
Pretty good story huh? If you're looking for a good scare definitely put this on your haunted checklist.

http://www.witowns.com/maribellcaveshotel07.htm

Now for a Milwaukee favorite. Ask any paranormal-nut of Brew City about Grant Park and I'm sure they would love to fill you in with all the spooky details. Grant Park is where I had one of my scariest unexplainable experiences. 

This is my personal account:
One night Jake and I were at Grant Park looking for some rocks to add to our fish tank. It wasn't too late yet probably just nearing 8:30/9 pm, the sun had gone down but it was peaceful out. We've walked the 7 bridge's trail numerous times with a complete lack of any strange happenings so we felt rather safe. After moving to Milwaukee the park had quickly became a favorite place of ours. When walking the 7 bridge's you weave back and forth through a lush valley with a little stream running through it. The path winds and crosses over 7 bridge's(hence the name) eventually spitting you out to Lake Michigan. Anyways, we were walking back to our car from the lakefront when I heard a rustle in the distance over my right shoulder. It was dark out and naturally I was a bit paranoid but I tried not to pay to much attention to it. Then, only seconds later came an absolutely blood curdling scream. The scream sounded as if it was no farther than five feet away. Fight or flight instantly kicked in and we dashed through the trail and stumbled up the stairs. Totally shaken, we ripped out of the parking lot. After panicking we decided we needed to call the cops. The idea of this being a paranormal experience didn't really kick in, for all we knew someone was out there getting attacked in the woods. An officer showed up minutes later and had us show him the scene. As he was searching the area a small group of people approached us. We filled them in and they got extremely serious and said, "you heard that too, we could hear it all the way by the beach..." The officer found no evidence of an attack or any suspicious activity. I still won't go to Grant Park at night and can still remember the sound of that scream to this day.




Stay Spooky.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One More, Then We'll Go- a Night at MKE's Lakefront Brewery

The American Horror Story Guide to New Orleans

What to do in Crescent City