The Odd Coincidence

Hey there frandsssss. 

So lately it seems I keep hearing about sleep paralysis, I saw an article about it on Buzzfeed earlier this week and just yesterday I was at a paranormal convention where the topic was briefly mentioned. I find this to be an odd coincidence, especially being someone who has personally suffered from what I believe to have been sleep paralysis multiple times...




If you don't know what sleep paralysis is and you haven't started googling it already I'll give you a quick briefing. Sleep paralysis happens either right before falling asleep or right as you are waking up. When we sleep our brain kind of sends our bodies into stand by so we don't act out our dreams resulting in things like sleep walking and thrashing around in our sleep. When sleep paralysis occurs your body is in this numb "paralyzed" state, causing you to be unable to move or speak which is completely frightening because sleep paralysis goes hand in hand with very terrifying and very real feeling hallucinations. Seeing dark feeling unwelcome figures on the side of the bed, near the foot of the bed or even on top of you are common. These hallucinations often occur in a way where the person having sleep paralysis will feel an extreme weight or pressure on their chest as if the figure is seated on them blocking their airflow making it difficult to breath properly. This condition can last seconds, minutes, to even hours... Not a good time.




As I mentioned before I have found it odd that I keep bumping into the topic over the past week especially after experiencing it myself. I had no clue what sleep paralysis even was when my incidents occurred, causing the two events to easily be the most terrifying things to happen to me, like ever....
These were my experiences.
I was sleeping in my bed when I saw a figure in my doorway, it was the dark shadowy outline of a person. It approached the side of my bed and reached out towards me, I was 100% terrified. I remember attempting to scream, swing my arms, kick... Anything! But alas I couldn't move, just laying there in fear staring at this thing. It then said to me "hello" in a strange voice and dissolved into nothingness, my movement quickly returned and I was totally shaken.



Only weeks after this I had another night time visitor...
I was going to bed again, I remember switching off my tv... Then BAM!!! Next thing I know sitting on my chest is a little boy. The best way I can explain his appearance is to compare him to the boy in the movie "The Grudge". There he was sitting on my chest, sucking the life out of me. I couldn't move, I couldn't breathe, all I could do was pray. So I prayed to God to make this thing go away and to keep me safe... And all I remember after that is it being over.

I still didn't know about sleep paralysis at this point, I was sleeping with a butter knife and a bible under my pillow for weeks. Sounds a bit ridiculous now, but at the time it seemed completely justifiable. I told people about what was happening, who knows what they thought haha but after doing some research on my own it seems my happenings match up pretty good to those of sleep paralysis. It is hard to link such a weird, very real feeling experience to something science calls a perfectly normal condition, that in fact most people may experience at least once in their lifetime (so have fun with that). I haven't had it happen again since then, which is more than alright by me...

Hope you had an amazing day!! :]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One More, Then We'll Go- a Night at MKE's Lakefront Brewery

The American Horror Story Guide to New Orleans

What to do in Crescent City