Wisconsin's Great River Trail

Who else is ready for long Summer nights and outdoor adventures?

I have a good feeling that if you live anywhere near Wisconsin you're screaming "ME!" at your computer-screen right about now. If you've read my posts before you are probably well aware that one of my favorite past-times is camping throughout our lovely state of Wisconsin. As I was sitting here reminiscing on this dreary Winter day I remembered an exciting trip the Hubby and I took out to the Western side of the state to Wildcat Mountain State Park in Ontario, WI.


With a name like Wildcat Mountain you might be wondering what you're getting yourself into... Luckily we did not meet our ends at the paws of a wild beast. However, we did see a frog or two here and there! Upon entering the park you begin to wonder if you will ever reach the check-in point. The campgrounds are located on top of a bluff and there's only one way to get there, up. PSA: I do not recommend this drive if heights make you woozy! However, if you're feeling especially determined and brave you can just close your eyes and let someone else drive to the top!

The main highlight of our trip was a visit to Wisconsin's Great River Trail! This trail is a biking path that stretches for 24 miles between Marshland and Onalaska WI. Apparently we were feeling extremely ambitious the day that we made this trek because we biked a total of 18 miles there and back! Granted, that's only 9 miles on the way there and 9 miles back but, I'm not a pro-cycler and this accomplishment made me feel like a beast!


In my opinion the most unique feature this trail system has to offer are the tunnels. I hope your bike has a light on it because you're going to need it if you want to make your way through these dark paths. The tunnels were once part of the railway system that ran in the exact same spot that the Great River Trail now lies. The tunnels are not well-lit and I'm not going to lie it was a bit spooky! Maybe I watch too many scary movies but I have to admit I looked back a time or two in order to ensure we weren't being followed! However, as the day goes on more people show up and the tunnels feel much less lonesome! Besides, even if you are the only one there you always have the bats to keep your company. 😜



The wonderful views along the trail almost help you forget how bad your butt begins to hurt after all that biking. No worries though! There are lots of great opportunities for a pit-stop along the way. I've heard rumors of a "pie trail" that runs parallel to the Great River Trail where folks can make stops at multiple stands for a slice. I have yet to confirm the existence of this legendary "pie trail" but, if it is real I personally pledge to you that I'll check it out!

Alas, our stay in Ontario was short but sweet! We didn't have much of a chance to check out other local fun while we were in the area. Aside from biking Wildcat State Park offers some lovely hiking trails with steep-slopes that are sure to work-out your glutes!

Summer will be here before we know it! After-all the groundhog did see his shadow so there are approximately 6 more weeks of Winter.... If you like to take advice from groundhogs that is.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One More, Then We'll Go- a Night at MKE's Lakefront Brewery

The American Horror Story Guide to New Orleans

What to do in Crescent City